• Identify at least ten animals by name
• Pair pictures of mother and baby animals that look similar to each other
• Identify two ways that animals are born (i.e., some animals are born alive and some animals hatch from eggs)
• Give an example of two animals that are born alive/give birth to live babies (e.g., humans, horses, rabbits, dogs, etc.)
• Give an example of two animals that hatch from eggs/lay eggs (e.g., chickens, robins, fish, etc.)
• Sort pictures of birds, fish, and insects into piles based on the animal group to which they belong
• State two defining characteristics of birds (e.g., have wings, feathers, two legs, or a beak; lay eggs; fly)
• State two defining characteristics of fish (e.g., have fins, tails, gills; live and breathe underwater; swim)
• State one defining characteristic of insects (e.g., small, have six legs)
• State one defining characteristic of mammals (e.g., have hair/fur, live
• babies, and warm bodies; feed their babies milk) State the humans are mammals
• Identify at least three examples of mammals
The Activity Pages contain various activities for students to complete in class or at home with their families.
The Flip Book contains a collection of images that accompany the read-alouds found in the Teacher Guide.
The Image Cards are used to aid discussion in Skills and Listening & Learning instruction.
The Nursery Rhymes and Songs Posters are provided for use with every domain. The Teacher Guide provides guidance on how to teach a subset of these posters in every domain, but teachers may choose to teach additional rhymes at any time.
The Learning Center Cards are designed to be posted in classroom Learning Centers and provide information to students and teachers.
There may be cases when our downloadable resources contain hyperlinks to other websites. These hyperlinks lead to websites published or operated by third parties. UnboundEd and EngageNY are not responsible for the content, availability, or privacy policies of these websites.
There are no tags for this resource
From EngageNY.org of the New York State Education Department. Prekindergarten ELA Domain 3: Animals.
Available from engageny.org/resource/prekindergarten-ela-domain-3-animals; accessed 2015-05-29.
This work is based on an original work of the Core Knowledge® Foundation made available through licensing under a Creative Commons AttributionNonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. This does not in any way imply that the Core Knowledge Foundation endorses this work.